Apple Crunch Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 cup tart apple (Apples need to be washed and cored. Shred the unpeeled apples for recipe.)
Nut crunch topping
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into mixing bowl.
2. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until fine crumbs form.
3. Combine egg and milk.
4. Add to dry ingredients all at once, stirring just enough to moisten.
5. Stir in apples.
6. Spoon batter into greased muffin-pan cups, filling 2/3 full.
7. Sprinkle with nut crunch topping.
8. Bake in 375 degree oven 15 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Serve hot
NUT CRUNCH TOPPING: Mix together 1/4 c brown sugar, 1/4 c chopped pecans or almonds and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl.