Friday, February 21, 2014

Tomato Soup in the Blendtec & 90 Minute Bread

Spring is in the air (wishful thinking), so I guess I better post one more comfort food recipe before it's too late.

I **HEART** tomato soup.  I also **HEART** dipping toasted tuna sammies in my tomato soup.  Sigh <3 <3 <3  I have a couple conditions when it comes to my crazy love for tomato soup & tuna sammies.  One:  The soup must be silky smooth. No chunks.  Chunks = Gag me with a spoon.  Literally.  Two:  The bread's gotta be homemade.  

Now, a word before we begin with the recipes.  I am not a professional chef.  I'm a busy Mom.  If you're a regular follower of my bloggie, you know that I take shortcuts galore, and I have a tendency to use phrases such as "throw it in the pot", "add whatever you like", and "cook for a few hours".  If you ever have questions about one of my recipes (ie: Just how hard should you throw said ingredient into the pot, you really don't know what you like, or the definition of "a few") leave a comment below, and I'll answer!  I want your dinner to be successful, I really do :)


Tomato Soup in the Blendtec

3 cloves minced garlic (1 1/2 teaspoons of the pre-minced stuff.  Heck yes I use it.)
3 - 14oz cans of crushed tomatoes (or whole, or diced, whatever... it doesn't matter at ALL.  You're gonna pulverize this stuff)
2 cups water
2 chicken bullion cubes
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons fresh basil (or freeze dried... tried it both ways, doesn't make a lick of difference.  I never have fresh herbs laying around.  I admire people who do.  I wish those people would write a blog about how to get your crap together.  I would so follow that.)

Here we go, ready?  Throw EVERYTHING into your Blendtec (or equivalent large capacity blender).  Make sure the lid's on tight.  Hit the soup button.  Soup's done.  You can eat it right now if you want because the Blendtec makes the soup "hot". More like luke warm.  I never do that... I pour it in the crock pot & let it simmer for a few hours while I get the bread going. Speaking of bread, here's the recipe:



90 Minute Bread

2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups flour

Here we go again, ready?  Throw the ingredients into your Kitchen Aid mixer in the order listed.  Attach the dough hook & give it a good knead, adding a tiny bit of extra flour as you go until the dough's not tacky.  Divide dough into two loaves, and place in two greased pans.  Cover with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray.  This stuff rises quick... 45 minutes at the most.  Once it's doubled up, bake at 375 for 30 minutes.  Brush with butter & let cool for a bit.

Cut the bread nice & thick, toast it, and fill with tuna prepped with mayo.  Dip the tuna sammie in your lovely silky smooth tomato soup.  Sigh contentedly. Life is beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment