Monday, December 30, 2013

Simple Shepherd's Pie

I've been trying to come up with a clever name for my Shepherd's Pie, but I'm drawing a blank... I am currently suffering from a holiday induced brain cloud.  I've also been trying for months to get an appetizing picture of it... That's never gonna happen for two reasons:  1. We usually devour it before I remember to take said picture, and 2: Even if I do remember, it's just not the prettiest food.  In fact, it's quite possibly the ugliest food on the planet.  Once, I made this for dinner on St. Patty's Day & used green mashed potatoes. Don't ever do that.  It wasn't gross tasting, just psychologically scarring.  It looked so nasty. So yeah... Even though my Shepherd's Pie lacks a clever name, and a drool inducing picture, I feel I must share the recipe with you anyway... it's just too good to keep to myself any longer :)  Just remember that it tastes better than it looks.  Waaaaaay better.

Simple Shepherd's Pie

1 lb lean ground beef
1 Tbsp dried minced onion
Salt & pepper to taste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can corn drained (or french cut green beans)
4-5 cups instant mashed potatoes (prepared as directed)
Shredded cheddar cheese (As much as you like.  'Round these parts that means TONS)

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.  In a large frying pan, cook lean ground beef, dried minced onion, salt, and pepper until meat is browned.  Drain.  Return to pan & add tomato sauce.  Simmer for 5 minutes.  Layer the ingredients in the casserole dish in this order:  Meat, corn, mashed potatoes, shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Serve with Rhodes rolls if you're as lazy (or busy) as I am most days.



Like the completely boring and not at all clever name of this recipe suggests, this is a really simple dinner... I think that's why it's such a big hit around here.  It's one of our favorite Sunday meals because it's so yummy & so easy to make.  I'm thinking since we start early church this Sunday, I'll make the pie the night before... That way I can take a nap while it's cooking!!  I'm going to be sooooooo tired.  I've been sleeping in till 10:30 every morning this entire Christmas break.  Hence the brain cloud.  I hope you enjoy this recipe... let me know what you think!  Happy Holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment