Monday, July 8, 2013

Putting Myself & My 10K Playlist Out There. Yikes.


It's no secret that I love to run... the secret is that lately I prefer to run on my treadmill in the basement while watching Doctor Who.  Ok, that's not really a secret either.  The Doctor Who part.

I used to run outdoors all the time, but after I had my 5th baby, I preferred cave running for numerous reasons.  First, I didn't have the energy to wake up at 5:00 in the morning.  Second, I began having crippling self esteem issues about my body. Running in front of people?  No thanks.  Being in front of people period?  Ugggh.  I did a half marathon in July 2011, and that was my last outdoor run until just a few weeks ago.  

When I was an outdoor runner, I would put together fantastic playlists for my iPod to get me through the hour run... warm up songs, fast/upbeat songs in the middle, motivational "you can do this" songs at the end.  Sometimes it was all just random songs that I loved at the time.  They were a big part of my training, and I loved searching for the perfect songs to keep me going!  

Back in April, I took a huge step towards repairing my self esteem issues... I had full abdominoplasty surgery.  It's a bloggie post for another day, but for my purposes here: The recovery was (and still is sometimes) the WORST pain I've ever experienced in my life. No joke.  Soooooo glad I did it, unbelievably glad, but DANG.  A couple weeks into recovery I signed up for the Provo Freedom Festival 10K... being high on pain meds may have had something to do with that decision.  

I'd been running with The Doctor in the basement for too long, so I had to put together a new playlist for the race.  I think it's one of my best yet.  I'm happy to report that I ran the 10K on the Fourth of July, and for the first time in my history of running this race, I didn't die at mile five!  Cloud cover, my playlist, and sheer determination not to let this bugger of a course get the best of me again, all combined to help me run the entire race without stopping.  I'm pretty dang proud of myself given what I've been through the last three months. 

Most of you aren't surprised about my surgery... I either told you about it,  or you've heard me daydreaming about it since my twinners stretched out my tummy beyond hope eleven years ago.  I really don't look all that different...  Most of you probably haven't even noticed. That's ok, because I did it for myself and no one else!  You may or may not approve of plastic surgery, but for me it was simply a case of having my doctor put the finishing touch on what I've worked years & years for with good diet and exercise. Again, despite the pain, I'm so unbelievably glad I did it.

So here's my super fantabulous 10K playlist for 2013... I'm honestly more worried about everyone judging my taste in music than I am about the whole tummy tuck thing, so absolutely no snickering! It's VERY random as you will soon discover... and yes, it's quite long.  I never said I was a fast runner ;)

2013 Provo Freedom Festival 10k Playlist

Sunrise - Simply Red (Always the first song on my playlists. Every time.)
Count on Me - Bruno Mars
Tragedy - Bee Gees
Gone, Gone, Gone - Phillip Phillips
Peponi - Alex Boye & The Piano Guys
Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Defying Gravity - Wicked Original Broadway Cast
One Thing - One Direction (I told you, no snickering!)
There is a Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
Tonight Tonight - Hot Chelle Rae
Doctor Who Theme - Murray Gold (Daleks!!!  Run!!!)
Feel This Moment - Pitbull/Christina Aguilera 
Inside Out - The Mighty Lemon Drops
Michael Meets Mozart - The Piano Guys
Modern Love - David Bowie
What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction (Stop it!)
Home - Phillip Phillips
Don't Stop the Party - Pitbull/TJR
Try to Believe - Oingo Boingo
Without You - The Piano Guys
Then She Appeared - XTC (Finished the race on this song ironically)
I Won't Back Down - Tom Petty (Was supposed to finish on this song)
Island in the Sun - Weezer (Best cool down song ever.)


4 comments:

  1. I have thought you were gorgeous since we met. I totally understand the exercising in public thing. It's just not my thing either. Congrats on the 10k... Love the music. But there's not nearly enough bagpipes. heehee Might I suggest a little Victoria Police Pipe Band, Masterblasters album, track 2. Now my nerdiness is showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ariana! You guys are always so supportive of this geeky girl :) I adore your family & insist that you never ever ever move. That's an order. I'm totally checking out your pipe band right now!

      Delete
  2. We're So very proud of you, our sweet daughter, You did it and stuck with it . We love your blog and the ongoing account. You look great and if it pleased you , then you deserve all the praise everyone can give to you . You are a great MOM and don't you forget it.
    Love you , Dad & Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daddy :) I love you guys too, and you know I'm soooooo super proud of you & the changes you've made this last year! I know it's been hard, but if it means we get to keep you around for longer, it's worth it :) **HUGS**

      Delete