Monday, February 4, 2013

Taco Soup aka: Monkey Brains

Hey there!  I don't have time for a really clever blog post today (boldly assuming you find my blog posts really clever).  My house is buried in dust from a weekend of remodeling, and I've gotta clean it... but I do have time to share a quick soup recipe with ya!  This is my quickest, easiest soup recipe.  It's from my good friend Karen Haskell, and yes, it's in the amazing ward cookbook that I've mentioned numerous times... the best cookbook in the world, the one you wish you had, the one that I will probably wind up selling on ebay for thousands of dollars.  That cookbook.


Taco Soup


15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
15 oz can pinto beans
15 oz can kidney beans
15 oz can corn
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 taco seasoning packet
1 cup water
1/2 pound ground beef cooked/drained or 2 chicken breasts cooked/cubed (we prefer chicken)

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot (do NOT drain liquid from cans!) Cook for 4-6 hours on low.  Just recently I got REALLY lazy & threw in two frozen chicken breasts at the beginning... it worked BEAUTIFULLY!!!  I just removed the chicken right before serving, shredded it up & threw it back in.  I will be doing this EVERY time from now on!  Top each serving with sour cream, cheese, and crushed tortilla chips. Serve with cornbread muffins. 

It doesn't get easier than this, and it's super yummy!  We have it on Halloween every year & call it monkey brains.  If that doesn't convince you to try it, I don't know what will.

No comments:

Post a Comment