Monday, January 7, 2013

Cheesy Broccoli Soup & Rolls

Did I promise to post soup recipes once in a while on Mondays?  Looks like once in a while means once a month ;)  In my defense: I was wretchedly ill for most of December.  I was also crazy busy getting everything ready for another awesome year of Primary!  I'm all better now (no longer "sickie" as Mel calls it) and Primary yesterday?  Well, it was awesome!  Mission accomplished!

So, funny story about our cheesy broccoli soup.  It's my teenage Trev's favorite.  It's his requested birthday dinner every year. One year he almost didn't get it.  A huge snowstorm hit our valley.  HUGE.  It was Trev's birthday that day... I had just picked him up from school when the storm started going from bad to worse.  It would've been a good idea just to come home & stay home at that point, but Trev was turning 8, and he didn't want to miss his first day of Cub Scouts.  He was also at this time in his little life TERRIFIED of storms, but he insisted on going.  In one of my less than brilliant parenting moments, I drove through white-out conditions to the church.  Couldn't  see a foot in front of the car... I kept thinking to myself, "This is ridiculous... I should just go back home."  Well... we made it to the church, barely getting into the parking lot because the snow was so deep.  I walked him through the blizzard to the front doors & handed him off to his den leader.  "See you in an hour buddy!"

Nope.  Try three hours :(  When scouts was over, both of the den leader's minivans got stuck in the afore mentioned snowy parking lot.  Really stuck.  They herded all the boys back into the church, and had to wait hours to get rescued!  Finally a couple Dads from the neighborhood were able to get their trucks over to the church.  They picked up the boys one by one & carried them to the trucks (so heroic!).  They drove them home & again carried each boy to their front doors.  I admit to crying when they "delivered" my poor little birthday boy!  Here's where the soup comes in:  Trevor walked through the door, smelled the soup & rolls, smiled, and didn't utter one word of complaint about his harrowing ordeal :)  I'll never forget that day.  By the time Trev finally got home, the wind had stopped, and the snow was falling in huge flakes to the ground. It was a beautiful night, and we were warm inside. 

This amazing recipe is from my friend Kristin Barlow... I've tweaked it a little for my fam & for my lazy self.  What?  I like shortcuts!  Kristin's original recipe in is the ward cookbook.  You know, the best cookbook in the world?  The one you wish you had?  I'd be willing to lend mine to you, or make copies if you so desire.  Holler.


Cheesy Broccoli Soup

1/4 cup butter or margarine (melted)
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
2/3 cup flour
3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
3/4 tsp salt
4-5 cups peeled cubed potatoes
1 (16 oz) bag frozen chopped broccoli
1 lb Velveeta cheese (cubed)
2 cups half & half

Melt butter completely in microwave.  Transfer to a large crock pot.  Add onions, flour & salt.  Stir together until combined.  It will be a little crumbly, that's ok... it all dissolves.  Toss potatoes & broccoli in the pot, and pour chicken broth over everything. Cook all day (6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high).  One hour before serving add the chopped Velveeta.  Stir until it's completely melted, then add the half & half.  Serve with homemade rolls.  Or Trevor will have a fit.  These rolls to be precise:

Dinner Rolls For Bread Machine
 
1 egg slightly beaten + enough warm water to make 1 1/2 Cups
1/4 Cup oil
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 1/4 Cups flour
3 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Add all ingredients to bread machine and choose dough cycle. When cycle is finished, shape dough into balls, and place on a cookie sheet lined with kitchen parchment.  Let rise until double.  Bake at 350° for 11 minutes.  This recipe is our family favorite!!  Makes about 2 dozen rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment