Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Summer Meals That Won't Make You Melt

Note to self:  Publishing a braggy bloggie post about your mad meal planning skills will inevitably be followed up by an invite to teach those said skills in Relief Society.  That's how you get yourself talked into these things Becky, it's your own fault. 

Second note to self: Whatever you do, don't publish a braggy bloggie post about your mad exercising skills.  Nobody in the Relief Society wants to see that.  Let's face it, you're not one of those people that looks hot while they're exercising.  I mean, you do look hot... it just looks like you've been wandering around lost in a desert for 3 days.  That kind of hot.  But I digress...

As nervous as I am to teach a class in Relief Society (this will be only the third time in history I've taught RS... I'm the tiniest bit out of my element!) I am passionate about meal planning, and if I can help others get excited about it, well heck, I'll do it :)

My class is on Summer meal planning.  Specifically Summer meals that won't make you melt into a puddle on your kitchen floor.  I love comfort food more than life... casseroles, homemade breads, soups... but even I say goodbye to them when it's hot outside. 

Sticky Finger Salad Copycat


I'm going to assume that everyone has already read my braggy bloggie post about menu planning. Wait, what?  You haven't?Well you should!  It's been my most popular post to date... major Pinterest repins baby :)  Again with the bragging...

Anyway, instead of printing the recipes out for everyone (we'd deplete one complete rain forest with the size of our ward) I'm putting links to some of my latest favorite Summer recipes right here on my bloggie.  These meals are quick & easy to prepare, with the added bonus that I've tried every one of them... if it's here on the list, you can trust this foodie fanatic: it's good eats :)

Penne With Chicken & Asparagus - This meal is light & calorie friendly, yet it tastes amazing!  What?!
Grilled Chicken With Lemon Basil Pasta - This is a Pioneer Woman recipe, need I say more?
Easy BBQ Ribs - Cooks all day in the crockie. Recipe says to broil at the end... that heats up the kitchen too much. I put 'em on the grill... you're gonna love these :)
Cafe Rio Copycat - Recipes for Cafe Rio's sweet pork, chicken, and beef... plus all the fixins!
Chili's Monterrey Chicken - This is what I order at Chili's every time.  Now I make it at home!  It's every bit as good as the restaurant, and faster than driving over there. You'll love me for sharing this one!
Grilled Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas - Another recipe from The Pioneer Woman... oh man, these are good... and soooo easy!
Root Beer Pulled Pork Sandwiches - Sounds weird, right?  Trust me, it's good :)  Serve up on Costco dinner rolls & top with with honey mustard and coleslaw... tastes amazing & it's zero effort!
Winger's Sticky Finger Salad - This is my favorite copycat hands down.  You won't believe how easy it is!  Make the sticky fingers as directed.  Grab a bagged salad, top with chopped sticky fingers, ranch dressing, shredded cheddar, cherry tomatoes & Craisins.  It's heaven on a plate. Or a bowl.  Whichever holds the MOST.
Simple French Dip Subs - Super tasty, especially with melted swiss.
Classic Potato Salad - Ok, so I know this is a side, but I've been known to eat enough of it to count it as a full meal.  I also know it's blasphemy to make a potato salad that's not your Mom's recipe, but even she would like this one better ;)

The above are just a few of the many recipes I enjoy cooking in the Summertime... here is another quick list of other yummy Summer meals that I don't have links for.  These are tried & true recipes from friends & family... they come from good old fashioned cookbooks.  I'm sure you all have versions of these meals, but if you don't, feel free to message me on the comment board & I'll gladly email you my recipe :)

Chicken Tacos
Sloppy Joes
Tin Foil Dinners (Meat & Taters, or Southwestern Chicken)
Broiled Chicken Subs
Hawaiian Haystacks
Taco Salad
Spicy Chicken Quesadillas
Marinaded Chicken or Steak (ask me for my marinade "recipe"... it's the best!)
Broccoli Salad
Pasta Fruit Salad
Rainbow Rotini Pasta Salad
Chicken Salad on Croissants
Crock Pot Baked Potatoes
BBQ Burgers & Hot Dogs (Not really a recipe, but something we eat all Summer long!)

So there you have it... Move over comfort food.  We'll see you in September!  Maybe I'll post links to all my favorite Paula Deen-ish calorie laden recipes in the Fall.  Until then, enjoy easy breezy Summer cooking! Just don't brag about it on your blog, you've been warned ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment